Wednesday, March 05, 2014

EclipseCon 2014 - the best ever?

I've been to a lot of EclipseCon (I think I only missed two, maybe three) but this year I'm especially excited about the program, the keynotes and everything else. If my good words are enough, then just click here to go to the registration page; otherwise here are some of the reasons why I'm excited to attend and why you should consider going.

0 - Day passes. You can attend EclipseCon for one day only on a theme day. This year the themes are: Java, IoT, Vert.x, Polarsys.

1 - Java 8 Launch! Eclipsecon dates coincide with the Java 8 release. To celebreate that Oracle brings to EclipseCon a ton of great content and speakers (and I hope the tshirt launcher). I would go just for that and learn more about Java 8.

2 - Reactive programming content. If you are interested in understanding what this reactive programming thing is all about, EclipseCon is the place to be. It is featuring a talk by Jonas Boner (from Typesafe fame), a talk on RxJava and a full day on Vert.x.

3 - New directions with the IDE. There is Eclipse IDE as we know it, there are people trying different things with it (Bling) and others taking it to the cloud (Orion), and finally people trying what I would call hybrid IDEs (experiments from Pivotal and the Flight project). All this really has me excited :)

4 - IoT day. IoT is all the rage. From CEOs to my mom, everybody knows that 2014 is the year of IoT (well it was also supposed to 2013, but anyway). If you are looking for OSS components to incorporate in your next killer product or just want to automate your home, the IoT day has you covered, and I assume will feature plenty of cool demos.

5 - Keynotes. The topics are differents, interesting, an yet not techical.

Anyway, time for you to register :)

No comments: