Today we officially announced the first SDK I-build including p2.
This is pretty exciting as it is the first deployment outside of our immediate team of our completely new mechanism to install / uninstall and update eclipse-based applications.
For the end-user, the important aspects of this new technology are:
- A brand new UI with simplified workflows
- A 4Mb installer for the SDK, yes 4000Kb
- Bundle pooling limiting downloads by sharing bundles common to multiple products
- Multi-threaded and adaptative download technology
- Transparent handling of mirrors
- The ability to fully provision eclipse (including config files)
Please note that this is still work in progress and therefore limitations of this first integration will be removed in the coming weeks.
To try it on, get the equinox-p2-sdk-* files, and for the installer get the equinox.p2.installer*.
Also to learn more about p2 join me at EclipseCon for a talk and a BOF.